About Us Countries FAQ Media Testimonials Contact Us Feedback
Main Menu
Living In Germany
Education System
Tuition Fees
Study Opportunities
Essay Editing
Statement of Purpose
University Selection
Detailed Univ. Selection
Visa Counselling
Living in Germany:
Some topics about living in Germany as below :
Living and Studying Costs (tuition fees)
The standard of living in the Federal Republic of Germany is high and, consequently, so too are the costs and expenses needed to be able to share in that standard. Based on the 2002 index, you should reckon with monthly expenses between 540 and 670 euros. Your will find that this will allow you only a very modest lifestyle.
Public (state-maintained) universities in Germany do not generally charge tuition fees. Some Master's programmes and the additional fees charged by some of the federal states are exceptions to this rule.
Contact us for more information.
Proof of Financial Means
Most foreign students study in Germany without a scholarship or grant. Hence, you are strongly advised to assess your own financial means early and realistically. The German foreign missions or aliens registration authorities must be convinced that you have sufficient financial means at your disposal to cover your cost of living for your whole study duration in Germany. This section will give you a breakdown of the cost of living of around 665,- euros in the old regional states (west) and 537,- euros in the new regional states (east).
No Chance for Working Students
You must not plan on financing your studies by working in Germany. The German authorities adhere strictly to the employment legislation applicable to foreign students in Germany. Any violation may lead to immediate expulsion from Germany. Although students from EU countries may work in Germany, jobs are hard to find. Scholarship holders and foreign students who are not citizens of an EU country may only earn a kind of pocket-money; such work is carefully monitored. Please ensure that you give serious consideration to the proof of financial means.
Contributions to the Studentenwerk (Sozialgebühren)
Each university has a Studentenwerk, a student services organization, which provides social facilities, such as the student refectory, cafes, student halls of residence and sports facilities. All students pay social contributions for the use of these facilities. At present this amounts to between 18 euros and 46 euros per semester. In addition to collecting the Studentenwerk contributions, some higher education institutions also collect a payment of up to around 92 euros, depending on the respective town, for the so-called Semester Ticket, which entitles students to free-of-charge use of local public transport in and around their university town for six months.
In addition, some federal states require you to pay administrative fees for enrolment, re-registration and other services (such fees can be called "Verwaltungsgebühren", "Verwaltungskostenbeitrag" or "Rückmeldegebühren"). These fees presently amount to around 50.- euros.
Health Insurance
All students are entitled to compulsory statutory health insurance cover until completion of their 14th full semester, but only up to a maximum age of 30. If you meet these timing conditions, this has the positive consequence that the statutory health insurance funds must insure you at student rates. Apart from a minor personal contribution (excess) which you must pay, this health insurance covers medical fees for visiting a doctor, hospital expenses, and any prescribed medication. The student rates for statutory health insurance currently amount to about 281 euros per semester (six months). This sum already includes the premium for nursing care insurance (Pflegeversicherung) which has been introduced in Germany. You must pay your premiums to the health insurance fund before registering at your higher education institution.
If you are older than 30 years of age on the date of arrival in Germany, you are strongly advised to insure yourself with a private health insurance company, since medical fees and hospital expenses are very high in Germany. For example, just one day in hospital will cost an average of around 205 euros.
For information on insurance questions, please contact Megway head office or email us at :- info@consultmegway.com or the International office or the general local health insurance fund (the so-called AOK - Allgemeine Ortskrankenkasse) or another health insurance company of your choice. The section "Health Care and the Social Security System" on this page contains further useful information.
Health Test
If you require an entry visa, the local German embassy or consulate will advise you of whether or not you must take a medical test in your home country, i.e. present a health certificate. Germany's legislation on foreigners does not prescribe a medical test by a German physician. If you wish to extend your residence permit in Germany, then you will find that the individual federal regional states differ in their regulations regarding health tests. The state aliens' registration authority at your place of study will be able to provide information on this aspect.
Accident Insurance
All students are insured against accidents at, on their way to or from their university by the statutory accident insurance scheme. You can turn to the foreign student office for information on additional accident insurance coverage.
Study Materials
Further costs arise, for example, for the purchase of books and study materials. Depending on the discipline studied, these can easily amount to between 230 euros and 307 euros and more per semester. Furthermore, most degree courses today are inconceivable without the use of a personal computer (PC). However, if you do not have your own PC at your disposal, most faculties, schools and departments, or the computer center, will have a pool of university computers available for use.
Before booking your ticket to Germany, you should inquire at various travel agencies about price reductions or other special rates for students.
All Rights Reserved © Consultmegway.com 2003-2004