About Us Countries FAQ Media Testimonials Contact Us Feedback
Main Menu
About France
Why France
Live In France
Education System
Fees & Grants
Visa System
Essay Editing
Statement of Purpose
University Selection
Detailed Univ. Selection
Visa Counselling
France Living
Some topics about living in France
The cost of living in France
Working in France during your studies
Accommodation in France
Cost Of Living
France is one of the least expensive countries in Europe, and students enjoy many benefits. From university dining halls and residences to transportation and leisure activities (cinemas, sporting events, bookstores, student associations, etc.), various discounts and offers allow students with a relatively modest budget to cover not only living expenses but a cultural life as well.
Given the number of discounts available to students, the average monthly student budget is around €1,100 in Paris and €800 elsewhere.
How much is...?
• A meal at a university dining hall: €2.60
• at a fast-food restaurant: €6
• at a local restaurant: from €10 to €20
• A cinema ticket: €7.60; student rate: €4.50
• entrance to a museum: €6
• A monthly public transport pass in Paris: €50 to €137 (depending upon zones)
• A sandwich: €3
• coffee: €1.50
• a baguette: €0.80 • a butter croissant: €1
• A wheel of camembert: €1.90
• six eggs: €1.20
• a litre of milk: €0.90
• A kilo of potatoes: €1.20
• a kilo of rice: €1.90
• A newspaper: €1.20
• a postage stamp: €0.50
• Identity photos from a booth: four photos for €4
• A telephone card for public telephone booths: 50 or 120 units for €7.50 to €15
• A round-trip train ticket between Paris and Nice: €135
• a litre of unleaded petrol: €1.10
• One night in a three-star hotel: €60
• A microwave oven: €120-€215
• a television: €110-€200
• a CD player: €55-€190
• a music CD: €20
Working in France during your studies
French law allows foreign students to work under the following conditions: A maximum of 884 hours per year can be worked:
During the school year:
Part-time (19.5 hours per week, or 84.5 hours per month).
During vacation periods:
Full-time within the 884-hour yearly limit.
A provisional work permit must be requested from your local prefecture. The minimum hourly wage in France is €7.61.
Note : As pair work: students may find housing with a family (either in their apartment or in a separate room) in exchange for several hours of childcare or household tasks per week. More information is available at the AFJE (Accueil Familial des Jeunes Étrangers) website: http://www.afje-paris.org
France Accommodation
Unlike other countries, France does not have a tradition of large campuses, and there are far too few university residence halls to accommodate every student. Both French and foreign students must find housing in the private sector, where costs can be higher, particularly in large cities and especially in Paris. In most French university towns, there is an information office (guichet) that will help foreign students through the administrative and search process for housing.
University residences
Located on campus or in town, these residences, run by the CROUS (Centres Régionaux des OEuvres Universitaires et Sociales), offer 10- to 12-sq.m furnished rooms equipped with a sink (showers and toilets are shared). The monthly rent is between €140 and €400. It is very difficult to secure a place in such residences, however (particularly in Paris), as French government foreign scholarships holders are given priority.
Private student residences
Private student residences can be found in France's major cities. Their numbers have greatly increased in recent years in an attempt to make up for the lack of spaces in university residences. The rent ranges from €600 to €700 per month in Paris and from €400 to €700 elsewhere.
Private housing
As a student, you must often pay an initial deposit, even for a one-room or studio apartment. In general, you must show proof that your monthly income is at least four times the amount of the rent.
Rooms in private houses
It is possible to rent a room in a private home, although this solution is more suitable for short stays. In Paris, the monthly rent varies from €800 to €1050 per month – elsewhere, expect to pay half that rate.
Note: Housing aid
Mandatory insurance
Health insurance
All students under 28 years of age who are studying for more than four months in an institution recognized by the French social security system are automatically covered by French student social security. Enrolment for this insurance is completed at the same time as administrative enrolment.
The yearly fee is approximately €180.
All other students (those studying less than four months, those in an institution not recognized by the French social security system, and those over the age of 28) must buy a health insurance policy from a private insurance company. Fees range from €150 to €550 per year.
Third-party liability insurance
This type of insurance, which covers compensation to a third party in case of an accident, is available from private insurance companies.
House insurance
You are legally required to insure rented accommodation against theft, water damage, fire, etc. Available from private insurance companies, the average yearly fee for this type of insurance starts at about €60.
Additional insurance
Repatriation insurance is available from private insurance companies .While not mandatory, it is strongly recommended for foreign students and may be required by the local Prefecture as a prerequisite for a residence permit. Additional health insurance. The French social security system reimburses about 70% of your medical bills. Additional coverage is available from mutuelles (mutual insurance organizations), which, for an annual fee, offer various types of contract to supplement Social Security payments or to insure against specific types of risk (travel, sports, etc.). There are a number of mutuelles, including those tailored to student's needs. Vehicle insurance. Every vehicle in France - whether bicycle, moped, or car - must be insured. Available from private insurance companies, the annual fee for such insurance depends on the vehicle.
All Rights Reserved © Consultmegway.com 2003-2004